• Stacks Image 703

    Caption Text

    Link
  • Stacks Image 704

    Caption Text

    Link
  • Stacks Image 705

    Caption Text

    Link
  • Stacks Image 710

    Caption Text

    Link
  • Stacks Image 713

    Caption Text

    Link

Marriage in the Cathedral - what you should know

Click on the headings below to show/hide the text
Legal requirements - things to do
Stacks Image 291
  1. Contact should be made with the Registrar for the registration district in which the marriage is to take place six to eight weeks before the date of the marriage (not earlier than three months). The Registrar will supply the necessary forms.
  2. The following documents must be submitted to the Registrar:
    (a) Both birth certificates
    (b) If a person has been previously married, a copy of the decree of divorce or annulment.
    (c) If the person is a widow or widower, the death certificate of the former spouse.
  3. Having submitted the necessary documents, the Registrar will inform you when to call back for the Marriage Schedule.
  4. This schedule must be brought to the Church on the day of the marriage and handed to the minister before the ceremony. Please note; the ceremony cannot begin without this piece of paper!
  5. Within three days after the wedding ceremony, the Marriage Schedule, fully completed, must be returned to the Registrar from whom it was obtained. A Certificate of Marriage will them be issued.
  6. Certain modifications in the above arrangements have to be made in the event of the parties residing outwith the United Kingdom: the Registrar will advise in such cases. It should be noted that a Marriage Visa will be required and this needs to be pursued in the country in which bride or groom or both reside.
Church requirements - things to do
  1. When bookings are made, the Organist, Church Officer and Flower Convener are informed. The date, time and couple's details should be confirmed in writing with the minister. It should be noted that arranging flowers for a wedding is the responsibility of the wedding party; they are not provided by the Cathedral. To avoid duplication of flowers, couples are asked to contact the Flower Conveners who must be advised even if you do not intend to provide flowers; please make contact with them at the telephone numbers shown at right.
  2. The minister should be consulted regarding the order of service before hymn sheets are printed. (There are hymn books available for use in the Cathedral)
  3. The appropriate fee for your wedding in the Cathedral is set out below. A non-refundable deposit of 20% of the fee is payable when you confirm the date with the Minister, the remaining balance of 80% of the fee should be paid when submitting documents to the registrar, six to eight weeks before the date of the marriage. Ideally, both payments should be made by bank transfer to:
    Bank of Scotland, Dornoch
    Bank sort code 80-06-36
    Account - Dornoch Cathedral
    Account Number – 06002380
    Alternatively, cheque payments, made out to "Dornoch Cathedral" should be sent to The Treasurer, Kim McCarthy, Gashagaich, Dornoch, IV35 3NH. It would be helpful if you would email the Treasurer on kimmcc55@aol.com when payment has been made.
  4. The following scale of charges has been approved by the Deacons’ Court:
    •Those couples, either of whom, or their parents, are members or loyal adherents of the Cathedral, or reside within the parish - £250;
    •Those couples who reside outwith the parish of Dornoch - £800
  5. The above charges shall apply to weddings booked after 4th June 2015 and will be reviewed annually.
  6. In addition there is a fee of £50 for the Church Officer who is in attendance and a fee of £60 for the Organist, if one is required. No other Organist should be approached unless agreement to do so has been obtained from the Cathedral Organist.
  7. It is the couple's responsibility to contact the Organist to arrange the music and hymns for the occasion.